Season 1 is the premiere season of the ASM Network series, How to be a Parent, created by Aaron Moon. It was first announced during the Fanfic Expo 2015, with a 12-episode season order. The season premiered on September 14, 2015.
On October 23, 2015, ASM Network has announced a full season order for the series, for a total of 24 episodes.
The story follows the life of Nicholas, a young man trying to work his way through his last year of college. Nicholas finds himself caring for his obnoxious far relative, Duncan, whose parents dies after an accident. As he becomes Duncan's new guardian, Nicholas gets involved in numerous adventures and troubles. Nicholas tries to learn to be a good parent to Duncan while balancing his responsibilities with his own life. With the possibility of Duncan being taken away by the government, the two must learn to avoid getting into messy situations.
Cast and Characters
Main Cast and Characters
- Dylan O'Brien as Nicholas Strickland, a college senior who becomes Duncan's guardian. Unexperienced and young, Nicholas tries his best to be a good parent, all the while balancing his social life and his studies.
- Cameron Boyce as Duncan Stout, a fourteen-year old orphan and a far relative of Nicholas. After his parents died in an accident he becomes the responsibility of Nicholas. His obnoxious characteristic is what attracts trouble that gets Nicholas into all sorts of adventures and messy situations.
- AnnaSophia Robb as Irene Burgess, Nicholas' friend from college, who Duncan has a big crush on. She is also a smart student that tutors Nicholas in Chemistry.
- Kym Whitley as Fiona Ruiz, the landlady of the apartment that Nicholas rents. She lives a few doors down Nicholas and despises Duncan, taking every opportunity to make sure that he vacates the apartment.
- Daren Kagasoff as Albie Huntington, Nicholas' childhood buddy. Heir to his families' multi-million company, he tries to help Nicholas in his adventures and troubles while Nicholas helps him prove to his parents that he is responsible to lead their company.